Sunday, September 21, 2014

Landspeed Knuckle:Part 1

So, I bought the 41 some 6-7 years ago (maybe more?!) from my good friend PQ as a box of parts and over 2 years he and I built it back into a powerplant.  From there she lived in a simple rigid set up that I rode often for most of those years, clocking  well over 20,000 trouble free miles.  Over that whole time period however, I never actually finished the bike.  It was always just a temporary deal, holding me over you could say, until I felt I was ready for the next leg of the journey.

Well, after letting this poor lady sit for almost a whole year, I decided it has been long enough.  I'm starting in on this Landspeed dream while I can!

I'm not really 100% sure of the scope of the project just yet, and there are a ton of details yet to be determined, but I'm starting,

Today I am setting some goals for this project, to hold my self accountable.

1) setting a deadline of one year from yesterday to have a running & riding prototype.  If i'm doing it, I want to push my limits, and I want to do it right.

2) While the quest is indeed about speed, for me it also just as much about actually showing up to the salt flats with a 100% purpose built bike and running it.

3) Enjoying the whole process.  So much of my life is motorcycle related, but 99% of it is work-for-clients.  I do not want to stress about this project, no matter what.  I work on my own stuff because I can, and because I love it.  I welcome this as an opportunity to re-connect with my machine.  Things will not always go as planned. I will have problems. But I love problem solving, and look forward to solving issues they arise.  

4) The experience as a whole will be new for me. The locations, the faces, the history, it's all territory I can't wait to become acquainted with.

 The old set up...
 Saying goodbye

Evaluation!


-Barnstorm



No comments:

Post a Comment